Worry Bird

The worry bird is flapping his wings
And tapping his beak against the glass,
Trying to attract my attention.

Flap, tap, flap; catching the edge
Of my awareness; whispering
Through the keyhole "psst psst psst".

Reminding me that I've forgotten
To worry. Anxiety rises as I wonder
What it is I've forgotten to worry about.

The worry bird is black, beady eyed.
Stares through the glass and flaps
And flutters his black black wings.

Peck, peck, peck, the rythmic tap
Of his sharp beak on the glass.
He's not going to leave unheard.

I slide open the glass and shoo him,
Clap my hands to scare him off.
Worry bird, you have no purpose,

I don't want you here, peering in,
Pecking and flapping and
Trying to scare me.

I take an old sheet and throw it
Over you. You struggle and flap
As I wrap the sheet tight.

I wonder where I can put you
To keep you out of sight,
Keep you out of mind.

If I kill you, I'll never forget you,
You'll haunt me night and day.
Peck and flap in my head for ever.

Here's what I'll do: I'll bring you in,
Unwrap you gently and let you loose.
See if maybe we can become friends.

I'm scared of your pecky beak,
Scared of your flappy wings. More
Scared of you really than I knew.

You look at me sideways, out of that
Yellow, staring eye. You're hungry for
Worries, that's why you peck and peck.

Maybe I can feed you my worries
One by one, bit by bit. Watch
As you swallow them down.

Then, when you're sated, I'll
Open the window; put you on the cill.
Watch you stretch your black wings wide.

Take off and flap - flap - flap
Get further and smaller in the sky
Taking my worries off with you.

21.7.11
Crazy Bird?
Acrylic paint on paper

Comments